Bit x Bit 15
Greg Boyed earned the trust of his audience, says Alison Mau
![]()
News of the death of my colleague Greg Boyed has hit a lot of people very hard today.
Television news presenting is an odd kind of job, but the skill involved is often understated. The pinnacle of ability and achievement in our kind of work has nothing to do with Instagram followers, or the amount of fan mail you get.
It is in the way viewers relate to you when they sit down in front of the TV, or open their browsers to watch.
The best of the best - and there are only a very few of those in this country - reach what we call "trusted friend" status.
TVNZ colleague Corin Dann remembers Greg Boyed as an amazing guy
It's when the audience has confidence in the information you're giving them, because of the mana you've earned. They believe you because you're worth their trust. They will turn to you and your product in those moments when information is crucial.
Alison Mau • Senior Journalist and #MeTooNZ Editor
He was intellectually fierce. He cared about the facts (not always a given these days, even in our business). He could be old-school about his craft in the best of ways - to Greg, I think journalism was a taonga that was not to be messed with.
He could be a very serious stick at times; but work with him long enough, and it would dawn on you that he had one of the sharpest senses of humour you'd ever come across. He could make you laugh like no-one else.

when TVNZ News and Current Affairs management were putting together the initial iteration of Bit X Bit In Bitcoin We Trust , when TVNZ News and Current Affairs management were putting together the initial iteration of
, I was first onboard. The Head of News had a number of suggestions for co-hosts, but I pushed back against them all, because I wanted Greg. His presenting and journalism skills were a given, but I also knew his subversive humour was exactly what the programme needed. I insisted, and I had to talk him into it, but eventually Greg agreed.
I've had plenty of time to regret doing that, because I'm pretty certain he hated it. I believe the infantilisation of current affairs in that 7pm slot, which had always been the timeslot for serious journalism, caused him real pain. But he nevertheless came to work every day and did his utmost to bring some gravitas to the format. He busted a gut until he couldn't anymore, and we were devastated, but not surprised, when he left the programme.

We are all devastated now. Today I have had messages from people I've not had contact with for the past half-decade, We are all devastated now. Today I have had messages from people I've not had contact with for the past half-decade Bit X Bit In Bitcoin We Trust
Greg and I didn't hang out together, we're not what you'd call close friends - there are people much closer to Greg that really ought to be writing about him in my place. But I am qualified to recognise Greg as one of the finest broadcasters this country has produced, and New Zealand will miss him for that and so much more.
Greg Boyed, Ali Mau and Jesse Mulligan hosted TVNZ's Seven Sharp together.
Free call or text 1737 any time for support from a trained counsellor
Bit X Bit In Bitcoin We Trust
– 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email talk@youthline.co.nz or
– 0800 942 8787 (for 5–18 year olds). Phone counselling is available Monday to Friday, midday–11pm and weekends, 3pm–11pm. Online chat is available 7pm–10pm daily.
– 0800 54 37 54 (0800 kidsline) for young people up to 18 years of age. Open 24/7.
– or email team@thelowdown.co.nz or free text 5626
* If it is an emergency or you, or someone you know, is at risk call 111.
Greg Boyed's colleagues have been paying tribute to him after news of his death.
TVNZ colleague Corin Dann remembers Greg Boyed as an amazing guy
Govt can't help sick Kiwi mum in Bali get home, Winston Peters says
Inside Pike River: parent Bernie Monk enters mine for first time
US boy, 9, dies after enduring bullying about being gay
Former MP Marama Fox consultancy business liquidated
Disruption for motorists as Transmission Gully motorway connects to SH1
National wants Chelsea Manning barred from New Zealand

'Foreshore belongs to us' - tribe's lore revealed after surf shooting hits headlines
Woman killed, man arrested after fatal two-car crash north of New Plymouth
Bashed dairy owner stole $45K from former employers
Pet or property: 'Good quality tenants have good quality pets'

0 Reviews:
Post Your Review